Re: AW: "The Bell Tolls for LNT"

The LNT has never been a regulatory tool.  ALARA is a

regulatory tool.

The LNT is a theory to evaluate the unknown risks of

radiation at low doses based on values observed at

high doses.  It may be used to justify proposals for

regulatory limits or recommendations for constraints

as used by the ICRP, it never had the impact in

regulations that ALARA does.  As a scientific theory,

I have come to believe that it leaves much to be

desired.  It was based on extrapolation of datapoints

from known data sets to unknown areas.  That is

reasonable to do in physics, but not biology and over

several decades of doses.

So, the question is if the LNT "dies," will

regulationary restrictions change?  If no adverse

risks have been shown to exist below 100 Sv (10 rem),

http://hps.org/documents/radiationrisk.pdf, how come

regulations have not been relaxed?  Can anyone cite a

reduction of safety standards for another toxin?  (I

am sure someone will.)

--- Maury Siskel <maurysis@ev1.net> wrote:

> Franz,

> The journal , Operational Radiation Safety, is a

> peer-reviewed

> publication of the Health Physics Society. The

> headline certainly is

> taken seriously because of the expanding mountain of

> evidence

> supporting the conclusion that LNT is untenable as a

> scientific

> hypothesis and as a cost effective regulatory tool.

> This dog is beyond

> bothering the postman -- he is yanking on the alarm

> bell rope loudly.

> Cheers,

> Maury Siskel        maurysis@ev1.net

> ==================

> Franz Schönhofer wrote:

> >Franz Schoenhofer

> >PhD, MR iR

> >Habicherg. 31/7

> >A-1160 Vienna

> >AUSTRIA

> >phone -43-0699-1168-1319

> >Carol,

> >What is "delightful"? That the article reflects

> your own opinion?

> >I do not know the "Operational Radiation Safety"

> journal, nor have I access to it. Therefore I cannot

> enjoy it. I think that the majority of RADSAFErs

> face the same problem.

> >"The bell tolls for LNT" does not seem to me to be

> a headline from a

> >radiation protection journal to be taken seriously.

> It sounds for me to be in the category of "Dog bites

> postman".

> >This seems to be just another occasion to caution

> scientists to accept both enthusiastic pro and con

> articles in non-scientific journals.

> >Best regards,

> >Franz

=====

"A devotee of Truth may not do anything in deference to convention.  He must always hold himself open to correction, and whenever he discovers himself to be wrong he must confess it at all costs and atone for it."

Monhandas K. Gandhi, in "Autobiography"

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist