Correction: 0.026 mR/hr 1' from 120lb KCl, 2x background

Correction confirmed and thank you, Stewart Farber.

Readings vary, still doubling (0.016 to 0.032 mR/hr) when 1' from 120 lb KCl, giving a mountain state dose to coast residents.

Howard Long

farbersa <farbersa@optonline.net> wrote:

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 11:21:25 -0700 (PDT), howard long

wrote:

> Even now, we can get around LNT based regulation. I just now counted 26

> mR/hr one foot from 3, 40 lb sacks of KCL (water softener salt

> available from Lowes or Home Depot for <$20) in a room otherwise showing

> 13 mR/hr (half the gamma) on my Palmrad. This is about the difference

> between non-exposed nuclear shipyard workers and those exposed to 0.5

> rem (who had less cancer and better longevity).

====

Hi all:

The units above in the prior note excerpt are undoubtedly typographical

errors and should read 13 micro-R background and a doubling to 26

micro-R/hr one foot from 120 pounds of KCl. A background reading of 13

mR/hr would equal 114 R/year gamma -- not very likely or desirable by any

measure.

Even at the center of an infinite volume of KCl the gamma flux would not

equate to much more than a few hundred micro-R/hr.

--

Stewart Farber

Consulting Scientist

1285 Wood Ave.