AW: Stakeholders

Franz Schoenhofer

PhD, MR iR

Habicherg. 31/7

A-1160 Vienna

AUSTRIA

phone -43-0699-1168-1319

As a non-native speaker I just a few years (?) ago sent this question to

RADSAFE. The answer was more or less: everybody who has or claims to

have an interest in what is going on anywhere.

I remember a film I saw a few months ago on television, where

(presumed)criminals in the good old west had to chop rocks to build a

road or what so ever. They were divided in groups of two each. One had

to hold the chisel, the other one had to use the hammer. After a certain

time they reversed responsibilities. Bet that everyone using the hammer

was extremely eager to slam the chisel......

In order to get back to my original message: Stakeholders seem to have

been transferred into an anonymous mass of politicians, local "against

anything" groups, state wide and nation wide groups like the

multinational business group called "Greenpeace" and their affiliates.

Nobody cares for radiation protection arguments - it is just, what

citizens "think" is the target of political influence. The old "NIMBY"

philosophy (Not in my Backyard) is probably deciding world politics for

the next four years.

I clearly state again, that radiation protection is a political issue.

Hundreds and thousands of scientists and their expertise for instance

regarding the Yucca Mountain Repository are nothing if the scope is to

gather votes in "battle states".

Best regards,

Franz

radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu