Re: Nuclear Waste,Science, & Politics: Regaining Virginity?

In a message dated 10/30/2004 3:12:00 PM Pacific Standard Time,

RuthWeiner@AOL.COM writes:

You  know, if "the public" is not well informed, it's either deliberate

ignorance  on "the public's" part or a complete lack of interest.  Reams of

material  on radioactivity, radioactive waste, etc., is all over the internet, much

of  it from universities.  The information is readily available to anyone who

wants it.  I just don't buy the "poorly informed" argument anymore.   you can

lead a horse to water....

I know the resources exist for the public, but government agencies have a

serious problem with the press that, if corrected, could have a positive impact

on the situation.  The California Department of Health Services declined

repeatedly to respond to grossly inaccurate articles in the LA Times about Ward

Valley, about risks from decommissioning activities, and numerous other

similar  topics.  If it's right there in the major newspapers, and the agencies sit

back and just hope it will go away, they are failing their responsiblity to

the public and courting the cult of ignorance.

Barbara