AW: Nuclear Waste,Science, & Politics: Regaining Virginity?

Franz Schoenhofer

PhD, MR iR

Habicherg. 31/7

A-1160 Vienna

AUSTRIA

phone -43-0699-1168-1319

Jose,

May I add to your mail that there was a few years ago an international

conference on radioactive waste repositories, held in Cordoba, Spain.

Its outcome is well documented in the proceedings, which anybody

interested in it might retrieve from the IAEA web-sites.

I have been recently (about a month ago) in Cordoba again, showing my

mother (80 years old) the Mezquita (mosque), the outline of the old

city, which has traditions from the old Arab "occupied" area of Southern

Spain and the even more the old Andalucia. Cordoba was an international

scientific, medical and philosophical meeting point of Arabs, Jews and

Christians at these times, positive to any religious opinion. Scholars

from all over Europe and the then Arab world came to study there. In

Europe we would call this a "liberal" opinion, but I learnt that

"liberal" is nowadays in the USA a "four-letter word".

So, off topic, Jose, let us hope for a similar development - but where?

Franz

of

> radwaste. I'll exclude the  references on geological sites, however I

can

> affirm also that are many on this topic.

> Follows a list from 2000 to 2004 of references, to those interested,

is

> possible to download. There are equal size from 1995 to 1999, also

with

> the

> possibility of download.

> The main problem on Radwaste: Communication

> a) Public is not well informed about radioactive waste

> b) Public is very poorly informed about radioactive waste

> Jose Julio Rozental

> joseroze@netvision.net.il

> Israel

> Developing Multinational Radioactive Waste Repositories:

Infrastructural

> Framework and Scenarios of Co-operation

> IAEA TECDOC Series No.  1413, 2004

> Predisposal Management of Organic Radioactive Waste

> Technical Reports Series No.  427, 2004

> An International Peer Review of the License Application for the

Australian

> Near Surface Radioactive Waste Disposal Facility, 2004

> Surveillance and Monitoring of Near Surface Disposal Facilities for

> Radioactive

> Safety Reports Series No.  35, 2004

> Radiation Protection and the Management of Radioactive Waste in the

Oil

> and

> Gas Industry

> Safety Reports Series No.  34, 2003

> Safety Indicators for the Safety Assessment of Radioactive Waste

> IAEA TECDOC Series No.  1372, 2003

> Selection of Efficient Options for Processing and Storage of

Radioactive

> Waste in Countries with Small Amounts of Waste Generation

> IAEA TECDOC Series No.  1371, 2003

> Radioactive Waste Management Status and Trends Number  3, 2003

> Considerations in the Development of Near Surface Repositories for

> Radioactive Waste

> Technical Reports Series No.  417, 2003

> Radioactive Waste Management Glossary 2003 Edition, 2003

> The Long Term Storage of Radioactive Waste: Safety and Sustainability

> Position Paper of International Experts, 2003

> Predisposal Management of Low and Intermediate Level Radioactive Waste

> Safet

> y Guide

> Safety Standards Series No.  WS-G-2., 2003

> Combined Methods for Liquid Radioactive Waste Treatment

> IAEA TECDOC Series No.  1336, 2003

> Management of Low and Intermediate Level Radioactive Wastes with

Regard to

> their Chemical Toxicity

> IAEA TECDOC Series No.  1325, 2003

> Radiation Protection and Radioactive Waste Management in the Operation

of

> Nuclear Power Plants Safety Guide

> Safety Standards Series No.  NS-G-2.7, 2002

> Management of Radioactive Waste from the Mining and Milling of Ores

Safety

> Guide

> Safety Standards Series No.  WS-G-1.2, 2002

> Radioactive Waste Management - Status and Trends - Number 2, 2002

> Socio-Economic and Other Non-Radiological Impacts of the Near Surface

> Disposal of Radioactive Waste

> IAEA TECDOC Series No.  1308, 2002

> Technical Considerations in the Design of Near Surface Disposal

Facilities

> for Radioactive Waste

> IAEA TECDOC Series No.  1256, 2001

> Radioactive Waste Management - Status and Trends - Number 1, 2001

> Handling and Processing of Radioactive Waste from Nuclear Applications

> Technical Reports Series No.  402, 2001

> Waste Inventory Record Keeping Systems (WIRKS) for the Management and

> Disposal of Radioactive Waste

> IAEA TECDOC Series No.  1222, 2001

> Management of Radioactive Waste from the Use of Radionuclides in

Medicine

> IAEA TECDOC Series No.  1183, 2000

> Legal and Governmental Infrastructure for Nuclear, Radiation,

Radioactive

> Waste and Transport Safety Requirements

> Safety Standards Series No.  GS-R-1, 2000

Jacobus"

> <crispy_bird@YAHOO.COM>; <franz.schoenhofer@CHELLO.AT>;

> <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

> Sent: Saturday, October 30, 2004 4:42 PM

> Subject: RE: Nuclear Waste,Science, & Politics: Regaining Virginity?

> > >The "scientific" approach that has been applied over the past 50

years,

> > at a cost of billions of dollars has failed to find an acceptable

> > solution

> > I could not disagree more. The scientific and engineering solutions

that

> > I have seen, for both high and low level waste are, to me,

acceptable.

> > And I mean that including if I and my family lived near such

facilities.

> > That is not to say there are not concerns that we can discuss and

work

> > towards even better solutions. What is not acceptable to me are when

> > honest, skilled professionals spend thousands of hours and come up

with

> > a reasonable and acceptable solution, and it is challenged with

> > nonsensical objections by someone whose main credentials are that

they

> > starred in a movie about a nuclear power plant, and that challenge

is

> > accepted by Congress and society.

> > Mike

> > Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

> > Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

> > Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

> > Vanderbilt University

> > 1161 21st Avenue South

> > Nashville, TN 37232-2675

> > Phone (615) 343-0068