RE: Stakeholders & Nuclear Waste,Science, & Politics:

Hello All,

I wonder if anyone can confirm my opinion (yes Michael I have others and

they undoubtedly stink :-) ), gleaned from I don't know where, that the

term "stakeholder" was coined (no pun intended) during the gold rushes

of the 19th century, possibly in Canada, and referred to a [engage

emphasis] disinterested, impartial [end emphasis] party whose job it was

to look after the item of value (i.e. the "stake") while the two (or

more?) protagonists who felt they had claim to the aforementioned

"stake" argued the toss in court, the bar, or at 20 paces in the street.

Not wishing of course to gainsay the tide of history and modern usage

where the term is synonymous with "interested party".

And getting back to radiation protection and waste I couldn't help a

sardonic smile as I noticed a title I've quoted below in Jose's list of

publications.  Others may have missed the fact that the Australian

Government abandoned the proposed National Low-Level Radioactive Waste

facility in July.  Among other things, the CEO of ARPANSA, John Loy, had

this to say regarding the issue when recently opening the 29th meeting

of the Australasian Radiation Protection Society:

"The fact that the Australian Government felt obliged to abandon the

proposal in the face of concerted opposition represents an enormous

challenge to the radiation protection profession in Australia.  It is

also the case that it was not abandoned on the basis of radiation

protection principles but rather the political difficulties of

persuading a populace that they can live with such a facility 'in their

backyard'."

Peter Thomas

Medical Physics Section

ARPANSA