Peer-reviewed references.

Dear List  members:

I'm not  used to having the legitimacy of my academic publications

questioned,  particularly when they are indexed on Entrez PubMed and are readily

available  for public scrutiny.

Since  there was a question about whether JABFP is a peer-reviewed

publication, I submit the following description from the web site of the ABFP.  Pay

particular attention to the last sentence of the  description:

About The Journal of the American Board of Family  Practice

The primary purpose of  the JABFP is to publish original papers pertaining to

clinical investigations  and case reports and review articles pertinent to

the specialty of Family  Practice. The articles published are intended to

provide new and valuable  information or reference by the entire medical community.

It is also intended to  serve as an important forum for the specialty of

Family Practice and as a medium  for timely information concerning the activities

of the American Board of Family  Practice.

The Journal of the  American Board of Family Practice welcomes for editorial

review  manuscripts that contribute to family practice as a clinical

scientific  discipline. High priority is given to reports of clinically relevant

studies  that have practical implications for improved patient care. Manuscripts are

 considered in relation to the extent to which they represent original work,

their significance to the advancement of family medicine, and their interest

to  the practicing family physician. Manuscripts are submitted to an

anonymous,  confidential peer-review process, which is usually completed within about 6

 weeks.

In-flight radiation: counseling patients about  risk

J Am Board Fam Pract 1999 12: 195-199.

Another  paper of mine appeared recently in the journal Obstetrics and

Gynecology. I  submit that description as well:

About  Obstetrics & Gynecology

Obstetrics  & Gynecology is  the Official Publication of the _American

College  of Obstetricians and Gynecologists_ (http://www.acog.org/)  (ACOG).

Popularly  known as "The Green Journal," Obstetrics & Gynecology publishes

original articles and research studies on: scientific advances, new medical and

 surgical techniques, obstetric management, and clinical evaluation of drugs

and  instruments.

In  addition to its authoritative articles and studies, Obstetrics &

Gynecology continues to feature the sections that obstetricians and  gynecologists

around the world have come to depend upon: Case Reports, Current  Commentaries,

Expert Clinical Series, Personal Perspectives, Editorials, and  Letters.

Obstetrics & Gynecology's rigorous editorial policies ensure  that all articles are

of the highest quality and that they are published while  current. These

policies have made The Green Journal one of the most respected  and most consulted

journals in the world.

Obstetrics  & Gynecology is  the most complete and reliable source of

information on current developments in  women's health care. Audience: Obstetricians,

Gynecologists, General  Practitioners, Family Practitioners,

Endocrinologists, Oncologists.

In-Flight Radiation Exposure  During Pregnancy

Obstet. Gynecol., Jun 2004;  103: 1326 - 1330.

For the benefit of those who  don't want to research these articles in their

entirety, I concluded that the  risks of in-flight radiation are trivial

during pregnancy, with the exception of  the first day of pregnancy when even a

small dose of radiation might  cause spontaneous miscarriage. In the JABFP

article I also conclude that the  risks to passengers during casual travel are

trivial but may not be completely  negligible for crewmembers and other

very-frequent flyers if LNT is valid. I  didn't say that it is valid, I only explained

how that theory worked. There is  nothing sensational about either of these

papers or, indeed, about any other  of my comments on this subject that can be

found in the RADSAFE  archives and in the Ask the Expert section of the Health

Physics Society  website.

Regarding the statement by  Dr. Long that I was somehow employed by a union,

I categorically deny that  unsupported allegation. My affiliation as Chief

Physicist of the Cancer  Institute of St. Vincent's Catholic Medical Center in

New York is clearly stated  on the JABFP paper. Additionally, I had no say in

whether, following publication  of that paper, the editorial board of the JABFP

rejected a letter to  the editor by Long, et. al. advancing hormesis as a

likely result of in-flight  radiation exposure. The decision to reject that letter

was made by the  journal, not by me.

Robert J. Barish, Ph.D.,  CHP

_robbarish@aol.com_ (mailto:robbarish@aol.com)