Leave me out of this!!

To the list:

Somehow, in simply pointing out that my papers were published in

peer-reviewed journals, I have become associated with the ongoing  dispute between the

radiation hormesis supporters and their detractors. How this  happened is

possibly explained by the fact that my posting is  reproduced over and over as Long

and Jacobus go at each other.

I do, however, want to comment on two remarks from Dr. Long that also keep

recurring on my screen as these remarks come around on a seemingly daily

basis. The first is:

"However, the spin from the editor who refused rebuttle of Dr  Barrish's LNT

assumptions,

gave bogus fear to the flying public, including  my patients."

My reaction to this direct quote from Long is the following: Long  previously

stated that the editors of the Journal of the American Board of  Family

Practice rejected a letter to the editor from him that would have  commented on my

paper. As stated in my original message, I had  nothing to do with this

rejection. The quote reproduced above implies that the  editor produced some "spin"

which "gave bogus fear" to readers of that journal.  Factually, there was no

editorial comment on the paper either before or after by  the editors of that

journal. The paper appeared, period.

So what Dr. Long is actually saying is that the editors of JABFP, by not

allowing him to comment on the paper in print,  allowed my discussion of LNT to

give "bogus fear" to the  flying public. I'm not sure how much of the flying

public reads the JABFP, but a  reading of the paper will show I made the

statement "the risk of very  low-dose radiation remains unproved and might, in fact,

be nonexistent" (page  196).  This followed a paragraph discussing the

controversial use of LNT in  making quantitative risk estimates. I later prefaced any

risk estimates  with a warning that the LNT model was assumed.

And if a possible increased fatal cancer risk of 1.00001 (page 197) is

fearful, I compared it to driving 3,000 miles in an automobile, spending 1 hour  in

a canoe, or riding 130 miles on a bicycle! (page 197). I'm sorry if some  of

Dr. Long's patients (who apparently read JABFP) were frightened by that

comparison. I trust he helped them overcome these fears.

Also, Long writes:

"I hope Dr. Barish will update his article, as he seems inclined to do

(below)."

I don't see how he infers my intentions to update that paper from  anything I

posted here on Radsafe. The conclusion of my JABFP paper states  that the

risk to ordinary travelers is "minuscule" (page 199) Why would I update  it?

The paper also does, quite correctly, remind readers that  there are

recommended fetal exposure limits published by the NCRP and ICRP that  might be

exceeded by airline crewmembers or very-frequent flyers. It references  a

calculation by the United States Federal Aviation Administration in which the  authors

(Friedberg, et. al.) state an increased risk of 1.0003 associated  with the 1

mSv dose limit during pregnancy. I do remind the readers  (remember they are

family-practice physicians, this is not a public magazine)  that "current

statistics show that about 600 of every 10,000 children are born  with abnormalities

that have serious health consequences." (page 198)   Would the possible 0.03%

increase implied by the FAA use of LNT cause  "bogus fears"? Apparently Long

thinks so. If that's the case, let him convince  the NCRP and ICRP to raise

the recommended dose limit for pregnant women. I  assume the FAA and its

European counterparts will follow those  recommendations.

Please, gentlemen, if this thread continues, snip me out of the future

postings!

Robert Barish, Ph.D., CHP

_robbarish@aol.com_ (mailto:robbarish@aol.com)