Re: Article - While scientists call it a killer, health-seekers bathein the glow of radon

This may sound like a silly question, but has anyone

ever determined how much dose people who visit a radon

bath receive?  The risk is associated with the dose,

not the number of times one goes to get a "treatment."

--- Susan Gawarecki <loc@icx.net> wrote:

> While scientists call it a killer, health-seekers

> bathe in the glow of

> radon (Atlanta Journal Constitution/Associated

> Press, Nov. 4. 2004)

> OFUNA, Japan . It has been singled out as the

> second-leading cause of

> lung cancer in the United States, right behind

> smoking. But to Shiro

> Umeda, sprightly at 74, radon is the best thing

> since aspirin.

> Every month for the past 10 years, he has come to a

> radon bath here to

> soak it up and breathe it in. He's convinced it has

> helped ease his back

> pain and improve his overall health.

> Undaunted by warnings from the scientific community

> that the highly

> radioactive gas is a carcinogen, tens of thousands

> of health-seekers

> like Umeda are drawn each year to hot springs in

> Japan that claim radon

> can cure an array of ills.

> "Not a doubt in my mind," Umeda said after a recent

> session. "It makes

> me feel better."

> The popularity of radon is nothing new.

> At the turn of the century, its curative powers were

> believed to be so

> strong that products containing radon or radium, its

> parent element,

> ranged from toothpaste and beauty creams to

> chocolate bars.

> Research has since led most health experts to make

> an about-face.

> Most, but not all.

> While acknowledging that high doses are undoubtedly

> dangerous, Yutaka

> Okumura, a professor of radiology at Nagasaki

> University, a leading

> center of radiation research, said the issue may be

> less simple than

> some of the more dire cautions suggest.

> Okumura cited a study he participated in that found

> cancer fatalities

> between 1976 and 1993 among more than 4,300 people

> living near one of

> Japan's most famous radon springs, Misasa, were

> significantly lower than

> rates elsewhere. Radon levels in the test area were

> roughly 70

> becquerels per cubic meter, or about three times

> higher than those in

> the control areas.

> "I believe people who frequent radon hot springs may

> be less likely to

> die of cancer," he said.

> However, Nagasaki University professor Shunichi

> Yamashita, a colleague

> of Okumura's who specializes in the effects of

> radiation on atomic-bomb

> victims, said many radon hot springs are safe simply

> because, unlike

> Misasa, they don't actually have much radon.

> "Japanese radon baths use so little radon, almost

> nonmeasurable or close

> to zero, that there should be no worries at all," he

> said.

> Other than Okumura's cancer study, there is also

> [...]

=====

"That government is the strongest of which every man feels himself a part."

Thomas Jefferson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist