Structural radiation protection for 64 slice CT

I have a query regarding the shielding implications of  64-slice

scanners. With a larger maximum collimation opening and higher maximum

tube current they obviously can potentially have a much higher radiation

output than earlier scanners but my question is: do they in reality?

I've seen a recent shielding assessment that was performed using the

scatter dose data provided by the manufacturer for their 64-slice

scanner (obtained with maximum factors) which determined that the

shielding required (about 3mm lead) was more than double that required

for a 16-slice scanner.

One last question is: with much faster scan times and the subsequent

ability to examine more patients per week, should workload figures used

in calculating the shielding requirements be increased?

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

Mike Irvine

Radiation Health Branch

Department of Health, WA

Tel:  (08) 9346 2260

Fax: (08) 9381 1423

The contents of this e-mail transmission are intended solely for the

named recipient(s), may be confidential, and may be privileged or

otherwise protected from disclosure in the public interest.  The use,

reproduction, disclosure or distribution of the contents of this e-mail

transmission by any person other than the named recipient(s) is

prohibited.  If you are not a named recipient please notify the sender

immediately.