RE: Welding Rods Containing Thorium

Franz, cool your jets. This is a perfectly legit rad mat related question. He may be seeking knowledge and background before going to the regulators. You don't know, so don't condem until you do.

Leo, these items are specifically exempted from control in the regulations, as are many other items containing radioactive material. Their use and disposal aren't controlled. However, If you have a mass quantity of rods (say 1000 lbs) in one waste shipment, a portal detector at a disposal facility may pick them up. I have the same problem disposing of mass quantities of desiccant. Anything larger than a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff sets of portal alarms.

-----Original Message-----

From: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu [mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu] On Behalf Of Franz Schönhofer

Sent: Friday, December 03, 2004 1:33 PM

To: 'Leo M. Lowe'; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: AW: Welding Rods Containing Thorium

I would recommend to contact the relevant authorities either in the USA or Canada and not the RADSSAFE community. I do not understand why you address this question to RADSAFE!!!!!!!

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer

PhD, MR iR

Habicherg. 31/7

A-1160 Vienna

AUSTRIA

phone -43-0699-1168-1319

waste

> disposal regulatory requirements because of their radioactivity,

either in

> the US or Canada?  Are there any waste disposal exemptions for these

rods?