Re: AW: Xenolite Protective clothing

I know.  I was referring to the determination of

shielding efficency.   The amount to tungsten needed

to provide the same as lead would be less than for

better titianium.  Actually, the best thing would

probably be iridium or osmium.  Of course, you still

have problems with those pesky characteristic x-ray

emissions.

--- Ted de Castro <tdc@xrayted.com> wrote:

> [...]

> > http://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q1742.html

> > Again, the advantage of using non-lead aprons,

> gloves,

> > etc., is the generation of non-hazardous waste.

> There

> > is a disposal concern with lead, not barium.

> > --- Franz Schönhofer <franz.schoenhofer@chello.at>

> > wrote:

> > > Dear Ed, dear John,

> > > I do not know for sure, whether lead aprons

> should

> > > be replaced by other

> > > materials, the only reason I can think of, is

> that

> > > "lead" is toxic.

> > > So is barium! "Barium" is a metal, which would

> react

> > > probably violently

> > > with oxigen and water. I would believe that

> barium

> > > sulphate might be

> > > used in whatever matrix. I cannot believe that

> its

> > > use in aprons would

> > > be comparable to lead. Tungsten (Wolfram in

> German)

> > > has a high

> > > absorption possibility, is (has been) used in

> > > weapons for high

> > > penetration capability just as depleted uranium.

> > > guess that tungsten

> > > will be much more expensive than lead and its

> > > shielding efficiency would

> > > be considerably less than for lead.

> > > So why should one replace the good old lead

> aprons

> > > with less efficient

> > > and similarily "poisonous" materials?

> > > Franz Schoenhofer

> > > PhD, MR iR

> > > Habicherg. 31/7

> > > A-1160 Vienna

> > > AUSTRIA

> > > phone -43-0699-1168-1319

> > > [mailto:owner-

> John

> > > Jacobus

> radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

> http://www.apc-cardiovascular.co.uk/xenolite.htm

> Xenolite

> and

> > > other

> every

> > > man feels himself a

> > > protection around

> > > Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu  Put the

> the

> > > body of the e-mail,

> > > archives at

> > =====

> > +++++++++++++++++++

> > "That government is the strongest of which every

> man feels himself a part."

> > Thomas Jefferson

> > -- John

> > John Jacobus, MS

> > Certified Health Physicist

> > e-mail:  crispy_bird@yahoo.com

> > Yahoo! Mail - Helps protect you from nasty

> viruses.

> Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu  Put the

> > text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the

> body of the e-mail,

> > with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe

"Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate; now what's going to happen to us with both a Senate and a House?"

Will Rogers