Re: Chernobyl fallout and Swedish cancer incidence

That shift of 2.6 in 11 years is certainly an

interesting aspect.  Certainly small shifts in small

populations might appear to be more dramatic.  Of

course, a shift of 2.6 year many not really that be

dramatic, but our preception of it is.

--- Bjorn Cedervall <bcradsafers@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

> >However, the "increased average lifetime" could

> also

> be due to better nutrician or medical care of both.

> One trained, as in epidemiology, needs to look at

> confounding factors. See paragraph 1.

> ---

> I think hypothetically that both these factors are

> relevant (lowered use of

> salted foods may be involved). Then I could imagine

> that somewhat milder

> winters (over decades - I would definitely die

> quickly up in that cold -

> people like me up there would have migrations south

> ASAP as the primary

> goal) may play a role, and in addition demographic

> shifts (in age pyramids)

> may be due to migration effects - how would I know?

> Then all modern stuff

> that makes life easier (nuclear powered laundry

> machines, better insulation,

> and all that...). All of these may be relevant.

> Something else?

> My personal comments only,

> Bjorn Cedervall  bcradsafers@hotmail.com

> PS. I had, in my preliminary analysis, missed the

> most northern county in a

> few calculations (there aren't many people living

> here) and therefore the

> average age at time of death may be somewhat lower

> than I first wrote -

> something like 2.6 years. Still quite an increase

> over 11 years I believe.

> Hopefully I can refine the numbers later on with the

> help of some

> professional epidemiology person (I am aware of

> quite a few names but many

> of them seem to be focused on creating press

> releases which indicates that

> they are not my types).

> Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu  Put the

> text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the

> body of the e-mail,

> with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe

> archives at

> http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/

=====

"Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate; now what's going to happen to us with both a Senate and a House?"

Will Rogers

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist