BMJ European Residential Radon Pooling Paper

Ruth,

Thank-you for taking the time to read the paper before commenting further. I am

sure the authors as well as the BMJ would welcome your comments if you feel the

research is scientifically flawed or if more details are needed.  I am sure you

are aware of the limitations journals place on researchers regarding the word

limits.  These studies are very complex and take years to complete.  It is

understandable that it is difficult for someone that does not have experience

performing pooled analyses to completely understand the details of the pooling

methodology.

Since I was not involved in this publication, I will wait till March when the

North American pooling comes out in the journal, Epidemiology to continue this

dialogue.  I am sure there will additional questions at that point as well as

when the worldwide pooling comes out in 2006. The detailed paper that will be

published in the JTEH regarding the pooling of N. American Studies goes into

detail regarding the pooling methodology including "normalization", etc. The

paper is well over 100 pages in its prepublication form. Feel free to email me

directly if you have specific questions about pooling methodology.

Happy holidays!  Bill Field

R. William Field, M.S, Ph.D.

Associate Professor

College of Public Health

Department of Occupational and Environmental Health

Department of Epidemiology

University of Iowa

Iowa City, IA 52242

319-335-4413