Radium Half Life (was Alarms at Borders)

At 05:52 PM 1/12/2005 -0500, I wrote:

>The radium check sources have substantially reduced output due to the

>relatively short half-life, while the uranium check sources are

>essentially at their initial radioactivity.

Thanks to everyone reminding me that radium's half life is  1600-1620 years.

The manual (which I used as my source of information) for the Lionel CD

V-700 Model 6B from 1962 states "The Radium D + E beta source

...half-life...is approximately 22 years."

So, whatever I have it tracked that estimate (within the appropriate

resolution).

It was the 22 years which I was referring to as stated in the manual and

confirmed (by cross-checking two CD V-700s against their respective check

sources.

Cheers,

Richard