Re: FW: Sickening Solar Flares

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:39:28 -0800, Careway, Harold A. (GE Energy)

<Harold.Careway@gene.GE.com> wrote:

> How different it is when you don't work in the nuclear industry.

> hal

========

Hello all:

How very odd that NASA would compare 1 rem whole body from solar flares

which they erroneously equate to 10 dental x-rays at 0.1 Rem each!! One

would certainly hope NASA could do a better job of explaining radiation

exposure accurately than this.

According to the HPS Ask the Expert Question #1193 at:

http://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q1193.html

the dose equivalent of even a panoramic x-ray [highest dose dental x-ray]

is 26 micro-Sv [2.6 mR NOT 100 mR as NASA states]. So NASA overstates the

dose from even a dental panoramic x-ray by a factor of about 40, and 1 Rem

whole body would be equal to about 400 panoramic x-rays. A single

intra-oral x-ray is about 10 micro-Sv [1 mR] dose equivalent. So compared

to the typical intraoral x-ray, NASA's estimate of 100 mR from a typical

dental x-ray is 100 times too high and 1 Rem whole body would be equal in

dose equivalent to 1000 intraoral x-rays.

Best,

Stewart Farber

[203] 367-0791 [home office]