Re: FW: Sickening Solar Flares

Of course, NASA could have confused the entrance

exposure rather than the dose equivalent.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005/27jan_solarflares.htm?list64594

> ========

> Hello all:

> How very odd that NASA would compare 1 rem whole

> body from solar flares

> which they erroneously equate to 10 dental x-rays at

> 0.1 Rem each!! One

> would certainly hope NASA could do a better job of

> explaining radiation

> exposure accurately than this.

> According to the HPS Ask the Expert Question #1193

> at:

> http://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q1193.html

> the dose equivalent of even a panoramic x-ray

> [highest dose dental x-ray]

> is 26 micro-Sv [2.6 mR NOT 100 mR as NASA states].

> So NASA overstates the

> dose from even a dental panoramic x-ray by a factor

> of about 40, and 1 Rem

> whole body would be equal to about 400 panoramic

> x-rays. A single

> intra-oral x-ray is about 10 micro-Sv [1 mR] dose

> equivalent. So compared

> to the typical intraoral x-ray, NASA's estimate of

> 100 mR from a typical

> dental x-ray is 100 times too high and 1 Rem whole

> body would be equal in

> dose equivalent to 1000 intraoral x-rays.

> Best,

> Stewart Farber

> [203] 367-0791 [home office]

> Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu  Put the

> text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the

> body of the e-mail,

> with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe

> archives at

> http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/

=====

"It doesn't matter whether you're riding an elephant or a donkey if you're going in the wrong direction."

Jesse Jackson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist