[ RadSafe ] Fwd: Depleted Uranium - Suppressed Reports and Veterans' Suffering Given Little Coverage

bobcherry at cox.net bobcherry at cox.net
Wed Apr 6 15:29:45 CEST 2005

One last time:

> Professor Doug Rokke,

He is not a professor.

> ex-director of the Pentagon's
> depleted uranium project

No such project ever existed. Rokke was briefly in charge of the U.S. Army Chemical School's project to produce DU training material. When I, as part of a reviewing group at the Pentagon, reviewed his efforts, I liked some of it and disliked some of it. The rest of the group had essentially the same impression. We asked for a rework that meet our specifications. Rokke did not complete this task.

> -- a former professor of
> environmental science at Jacksonville University

He was an assistant, not full, professor for two years.

> and
> onetime US army colonel

He retired as an Army Reserve major, promoted to that rank in the Army Reserve, not the Regular Army. He never got close to making lieutenant colonel, much less full colonel.

> who was tasked by the US
> department of defence with the post-first Gulf war
> depleted uranium desert clean-up

He was in-country liaison to a civilian team from Rock Island Arsenal tasked with Army vehicle recovery, which included vehicles hit by U.S. friendly DU fire. They determined whether vehicles were economically recoverable and made the decisions. Rokke had little, if any, authority over them. As far as I know, this project was not a "clean-up" other than minor vehicle decontamination prior to packaging for shipment back to the States. Vehicles that were not economically recoverable were buried in-country, presumably after being stripped of classified and recoverable components.

> -- said use of DU
> was a 'war crime'.

Rokke is wrong.

That was easy. Next?