[ RadSafe ] Radsafe at work

Stabin, Michael michael.g.stabin at Vanderbilt.Edu
Wed Apr 13 12:50:03 CEST 2005

>But I totally agree with you, that employees should use their private accounts for RADSAFE, unless they really post on behalf of their companies.

I see nothing wrong with using a work account to read and post to Radsafe. Everyone has to make their own judgments about the proper balance and use of their time at work. While working hard, we take breaks, to get a cup of coffee, go to the bathroom, talk to colleagues in the hallway about work and non-work-related topics, for a few minutes. Radsafe is like a "virtual coffee break area" where professionals can drop in from time to time and listen to others comments, perhaps leave in silence, or offer a comment of their own on the current topic. There is nothing unethical about that. I know that I have learned A LOT over the years, as an HP, from many Radsafers, and I'm sure that I will continue to do so. If I am taking up 3-4 hours per day posting to Radsafe, just like if I am spending 3-4 hours per day standing in the hallways talking to colleagues instead of working, that would need correction. Otherwise, listening to and participating in the good discussions here makes me a better professional, and if I do that in a limited amount of time each day, I think that my employer should be glad for it.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP
Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University
1161 21st Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37232-2675
Phone (615) 343-0068