[ RadSafe ] Re: Radiation deficiency remediation - nuclear powerpromotion

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 20:32:48 CEST 2005

Let me try this as I understand the problem.  (I am
sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.  Or if
they don't agree with me.)

Say the cancer rate is 0.05%, or 500 cancers expected
in 10,000 people.

5000 people receive no exposure and 250 cancers are
observed.  5000 people receive 1-9 rad and 200 cancers
are observed because the radiation had a "beneficial
effect."  (If they did not receive any radiation, 250
cancers would have be observed, and there would be a
total of 500 cancers in the total 10,000 population as
would be expected.)  In this population of 0-9 rads of
both unirradiated and irradiated people, 450 cancers
would be observed in this population.

You do not hold the populations to the same sizes.

Of course, in the 1977 Land and McGregor paper, the
observed breast cancers exceeded the expected.  That
is my point.

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com