[ RadSafe ] SPECT/CT survey

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 14 15:53:32 CET 2005

PET and PET/CT growth is not based on non-nuclear
radioisotopes.  Rather, from compensation from
Medicare.  As soon as the Federal government approved
compensation for PET in cancer imaging and staging, it
opened up the gates for PET facilities.  PET/CT is the
latest iteration of the imaging program.  By the way,
the requirment was that only PET scanners and not
SPECT scanners would be receive reimbursement.  GE and
Siemens stock went up.

At $400 a dose, (F-18)-FDG is expensive, and is really
limited in the clinical setting to cancer staging.  Of
course, there is a lot of PET research going on, but I
see little PET use in clinical settings.  Cyclotrons
are expense.  The advantage of PET is (1) the high
specificity for FDG for cancer growths, and (2) the
ability to identify small lesions over nuclear
medicine imaging.

http://www.imaginis.com/nuclear-medicine/nuc_pet.asp
(Scans like cardiac and brain mentioned in this site
are not ones you typically see in the clinical
setting.)

No, reactor generated radionuclides are not going out
of style.  Nuclear medicine scans are still important
in the diagnosis of heart disease, lung emboli, gall
bladder, kidney diseases, etc. It is a mature
technology that is not going away anytime soon.  If
anything, the MRI may pose a challenge to both PET and
nuclear medicine, but each modality has its advantages
and limitations.

Nuclear medicine:
http://www.radiologyinfo.org/content/gen_nuclear_med.htm#Limits
http://www.nuclearonline.org/PIbygeneric2.htm
http://www.imaginis.com/nuclear-medicine/nuc_clinical.asp

PET:
http://www.radiologyinfo.org/content/petomography.htm#Limits

--- Jaro <jaro-10kbq at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> That's very interesting John.
> Somehow, I was under the impression that there were
> many more PET machines
> in service, than SPECT --- reason being that PETs
> don't need nuke reactors
> for support, and as we all know, the latter are
> rapidly going out of style
> (or out of "political correctness").
> Would you please explain, if possible, why your
> establishment's nuke
> medicine dep't seems to be bucking the trend ?
> ....or is the appearance of
> such a trend simply fictitious ?
>
> Thanks again.
>
>  Jaro
>
>  Jaro Franta, P.Eng.
> Tel.: (514) 875-3444
> Montréal, Québec
> frantaj at aecl.ca
> web master, CNS Québec branch:
> http://www.cns-snc.ca/branches/quebec/quebec.html

=====
"Baltimore is actually a very safe city if you are not involved in the drug trade."
DR. PETER BEILENSON, the city's health commissioner.

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com