[ RadSafe ] SPECT/CT survey

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 14 16:44:21 CET 2005

There are two different images that are fused
together.  One is from the emissions of the
radioactive isotope in the patient.  These images are
usually fuzzy, and it is difficult to determine the
exact anatomical location in the body.  The other is
from a CT scan of the patient using x-rays which give
a tremendous picture of the gross anatomy, but cannot
identify small lesions what uptake the radioactive
material.  Both are tomographic images, but provide
different pieces or details of information.

In this sense, PET/CT is the same as SPECT/CT.  The
PET resolution of radioactive uptake is much better
than that for the nuclear medicine compound.

http://www.cns-snc.ca/branches/quebec/slowpoke/accelerateurs_Canada_2003.jpg

http://www.cns-snc.ca/branches/quebec/slowpoke/CHUS_forensique.html
> Included at the bottom of the page are four animated
> 3D pictures obtained
> using both PET and SPECT (you have to click on the
> thumbnails to see them).
>
> Thnx
>
>  Jaro

=====
"Baltimore is actually a very safe city if you are not involved in the drug trade."
DR. PETER BEILENSON, the city's health commissioner.

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com