[ RadSafe ] RE: we remain our own worse enemy

George J. Vargo vargo at physicist.net
Sat Feb 19 04:59:20 CET 2005

Sandy,

We're stuck in a dilemma of distinguishing  between safety and excellence, a
subtle, but important distinction.  We achieve safety (i.e., the prevention
of debilitating accidents, acute or chronic health effects, etc.) very
consistently, nearly 100%, and expect excellence (i.e., the absence of ANY
unexpected exposures or intakes) as the norm.  I agree that in today's
environment, an unplanned exposure of 100 mrem or an intake of 40 DAC-hr
could well represent a failure of planning and execution and, therefore, a
failure to achieve excellence, but it has minimal safety significance from a
health effects standpoint.  The regulated community (both NRC and DOE in the
US) have set excellence as the norm, and have thereby redefined an
overexposure as a failure to achieve excellence in planning and execution.
We need to find better terms and redefine an unexpected or unplanned
exposure as something other than an "overexposure", which has regulatory
(i.e., beyond regulatory limits) and possibly clinical implications.  This
is another case of sloppiness in use of the English language and I would
urge our colleagues, especially in the regulatory community to find a better
expression for the failure to achieve excellence in radiological protection.
The down-side is the "Mozart" problem using an analogy from the movie
"Amadeus" -- in the words of the Emperor "too many notes" and a possible
charge of radio-obfuscation.

George

George J. Vargo, Ph.D., CHP
Senior Scientist