AW: [ RadSafe ] Nuclear Power Plant Effluents / EMP

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Fri Feb 25 23:43:17 CET 2005

John,

"The Effects of Nuclear Weapons" was in the old days a kind of "bible"
for anybody who was involved in protection from nuclear bomb effects and
fallout also in Europe. During my short compulsory military duty I
shocked the instructors (at very low scientific level if at any at all)
by citing from this book, showing them that the official training was
wrong.

In the course of time I had to question some of the findings, the most
important being the distribution of radionuclides. The book did not at
all consider meteorological conditions like rain. From the Chernobyl
accident we drastically learnt that clouds of radionuclides may
contaminate an area, but only rain will convert this into a serious
problem or even a disaster.

The scenarios as I remember them are rather outdated, which is not to
downplay the importance of this book. Since it is from 1977 I wonder
whether anything similar, but updated to the 21st century and current
nuclear weapons exists?

An almost off topic question: During my studies in chemistry I had in
the 70's a book of "Glasstone" on Physical Chemistry. I used it to
understand first of all Physical Chemistry and then went to the other
books which I would not have understood without "Glasstone". Is it the
same person?

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer