[ RadSafe ] Radioactive Material Stolen While Man In Donut Shop

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 9 16:58:06 CET 2005

That is a "standard" shipping container of unit doses
used for nuclear medicine scans.  The boxes we get
have placards as required by DOT.

See the picture on page 33 of the PDF at
http://hazmat.dot.gov/training/ramreview.pdf.

(Page 29 of the RAMREG)

Typical accidents"
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/event-status/event/2002/20021021en.html
(first one)

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/event-status/event/2000/20000214en.html
 (see event 36681)

Of course, the shipper is supposed to ensure packages
are not stolen.  There is no requirements against
stopping for donuts.

--- Gerry Blackwood <gpblackwood at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> [ Police say the thief probably didn't know an ammo
> box in the bed of the truck contained a radioactive
> material used in medical studies.]
> Now someone pleeeeeeeease tell me what the hell a
> rad materials was doing in an ammo box in the first
> place? Think the driver kind of violated some DOT
> Laws?
>
> Radioactive Material Stolen While Man In Donut Shop
> Police Looking For White Ford Truck
> POSTED: 10:47 pm EST March 8, 2005
> UPDATED: 12:40 am EST March 9, 2005
>

> SEEKONK, Mass. -- Seekonk police are looking for a
> stolen truck that is carrying radioactive material.
>
> The Ford pickup was left running outside a Dunkin'
> Donuts on Highland Avenue about 8:45 a.m. when it
> was stolen. Police say the thief probably didn't
> know an ammo box in the bed of the truck contained a
> radioactive material used in medical studies.
>
> The truck is described as a white Ford F-150 with a
> hard, flat cover over the bed. It has a Rhode Island
> commercial license plate 188406. People who think
> they have seen the truck are asked to call their
> local police.
>

> Copyright 2005 by turnto10.com. All rights reserved.
> This material may not be published, broadcast,
> rewritten or redistributed.
>

> "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are
> reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis
> maintain their neutrality."

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy
enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com