[ RadSafe ] FW: BWCHPS March Broadcast

Bob Cherry BobCherry at cox.net
Mon Mar 14 01:03:14 CET 2005

The following important announcements are provided to you by the BWC
Executive Committee:

3/15/05 Rosslyn Meeting Reminder -- RSVP Deadline is Monday 3/14/05

**Reservations are required.**  Confirm your reservation with Neil Barss
(NEIL.M.BARSS at saic.com, 703-676-8041) by NOON on Monday 3/14/05.  Please
note that the Chapter is required to pay for all reservations, whether you
attend or not.  Paying for "no-shows" is not a good use of Chapter funds,
and you may be asked to reimburse the Chapter in the event of a loss.

Historical Perceptions on the 50th Anniversary of the Health Physics Society
- Some Interesting Insights

Ronald L. Kathren, CHP

Professor Emeritus

Washington State University

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

China Garden Restaurant

Twin Towers - Mall Level

1100 Wilson Blvd.

Arlington, VA 22209

703.525.5317

http://www.chinagardenva.com/

This venue is Metro accessible, just a 2-minute walk from Rosslyn Station
(on the blue/orange line).  Underground parking is FREE at 1100 Wilson Blvd.
after 5:00 p.m.

The social hour will begin at 6:00 p.m., followed by dinner at 7:00 p.m. and
the presentation at 8:00 p.m.  The cost is $20 for Chapter members and
spouses/guests, $25 for non-members and $10 for students.

Preliminary Announcement -- Joint Meeting with AIHA on 4/13/05 in Bethesda,
MD

Depleted Uranium -- Potential Health Effects from the Uranium, Heavy Metal
Toxicity, and Radiation

David McClain, Ph.D.

Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute (AFRRI)

Bethesda, MD

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Bethesda Chevy Chase Rescue Squad

5020 Battery Lane

Bethesda, Maryland 20814

301-652-2278

(at the corner of Old Georgetown Road and Battery Lane)

Social hour at 6:00 p.m., followed by dinner at 7:00 and the presentation at
8:00.  Menu TBD.  The cost is $20 for Chapter members, $25 for non-members
and $10 for students.  Beer and wine are included in the meal cost.

**Reservations are required.**  Please confirm your reservation with Neil
Barss ( <mailto:NEIL.M.BARSS at saic.com> NEIL.M.BARSS at saic.com, 703-676-8041)
by 4/6/05.  Note that the caterer cannot prepare additional food to
accommodate unreserved walk-ins, and the Chapter is required to pay for all
no-shows.

Preliminary Announcement -- Annual Business Meeting on Saturday 5/14/05 at
NASA-Goddard

Why hold the Annual Business Meeting on a Saturday?  Several reasons!

*	Avoid rush hour traffic -- is there really a better excuse?
*	Encourage the participation of members who can't attend our monthly
dinner meetings
*	Tours of the NASA-Goddard facility
*	Affiliate Member exhibition tables and demonstrations
*	Informative technical and historical presentations
*	A great surf-and-turf meal with an open bar
*	Live entertainment from a traditional Irish band (featuring one of
our own members!)
*	And much more!

Saturday, May 14, 2005

NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

Greenbelt, MD

Details, menu and times TBD -- more information to come!

If you're interested in delivering a presentation at the Annual Business
Meeting, please contact Neil Barss (neil.m.barss at saic.com, 703-676-8041).

Annual Renewal Drive and Membership Questionnaire

The Executive Committee has recently begun preparations for the annual
membership renewal drive.  This year's mailing (due in your mailbox by early
April) will be full of important items -- your renewal invoice, an election
ballot, a membership questionnaire, and the 2004-2005 Membership Handbook
(better late than never).  We sincerely hope you'll renew your membership
for 2005-2006 by promptly returning your invoice and dues.

We also encourage you to participate in our comprehensive survey of the
membership by completing the membership questionnaire.  This is the latest
phase of our "vision" initiative, and is designed to gather information
about YOUR preferences on a wide variety of Chapter functions and services.
The information that you provide will assist the Executive Committee with
program planning for the upcoming year, as well as strategic evaluation of
Chapter objectives for next year and beyond.  We value the opinions and
preferences of our members, so please take the time to participate when the
survey arrives.

Best regards,

Karl W. Fischer, CHP

Secretary, BWCHPS