[ RadSafe ] From another list

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 19 16:59:29 CET 2005

Since this will be produced as a drug, it will have an
expiration date.  Thus, routine disposal of current
stocks and production of new material are required,
whether of not the material is ever used.  If there is
only one manufacturer, money is to made.

--- LNMolino at aol.com wrote:

> Date:  March 18, 2005
> For Release: Immediately
> Contact: HHS  Press Office
> (202) 690-6343
>
> Headline:  HHS AWARDS BIOSHIELD  CONTRACT FOR LIQUID
> POTASSIUM IODIDE
>
> The Department of Health and Human  Services today
> awarded a $5.7 million
> contract to Fleming & Company,  Pharmaceuticals of
> Fenton, Mo. for the
> manufacture and delivery of 1.7  million pediatric
> doses of liquid potassium
> iodide (KI).  This supply of  liquid KI, which is
> being purchased under the
> BioShield program, would be  used in the event of a
> release of radioactive
> iodine, a commonly produced  material in commercial
> nuclear power facilities.
>

> The liquid KI  formulation is the first to be
> developed specifically for
> children. Its black  raspberry taste is designed to
> make it more palatable to
> children. Current  adult dose tablets are bitter and
> must be broken into
> pieces to get a child's  dose. The new formulation
> is delivered using a
> graduated  eyedropper.
>
> "The acquisition of this new and easy-to-administer
> pediatric  KI formulation
> is an important step forward for our nation's
> radiological  preparedness
> program," Assistant Secretary for Public Health
> Emergency  Preparedness
> Stewart Simonson, said.
>
> Because the thyroid gland rapidly  absorbs any
> iodine in the body, people
> need to take KI soon after an incident  that
> involves the release of
> radioactive iodine, such as could occur in the
> vicinity of a nuclear
> commercial power facility. The KI saturates the
> thyroid  gland with iodine,
> thus preventing the thyroid from absorbing
> additional,  radioactive iodine.
> However, KI does not prevent the effects of any
> other  radioactive elements.
>
> Approval of the liquid KI as a pediatric
> formulation was given last year by
> the Interagency Weapons of Mass  Destruction Medical
> Countermeasures
> Subcommittee. Children are the most  susceptible to
> the dangerous effects of
> radioactive iodine.
>
> Once it is  delivered to HHS, the pediatric KI will
> be made available to
> states that  submit and receive approval from HHS
> for plans they develop to
> distribute the  new product in communities around
> commercial nuclear power
> plants.
>
> The  Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved
> KI in tablet form as  a
> nonprescription drug for use as a "blocking agent"
> to prevent the  human
> thyroid gland from absorbing radioactive iodine. On
> Jan. 12, 2005, the  FDA
> granted approval to Fleming for their product
> ThyroShieldTM  (Potassium
> Iodide Oral Solution, USP) 65 mg/ml for  children.

> [...]

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy
enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com