[ RadSafe ] Re: LNT now NOT "reasonable"

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 21 16:45:50 CET 2005

You will have to be more specific.  I am not going to
chase are data when I do not know what the source is.
Either reference an article, or Web site, or have
someone do it for you.

--- howard long <hflong at pacbell.net> wrote:

> Look at data, not conclusions (dicordant, as with
> Kyota data and conclusions)
>
> Howard Long
>
> John Jacobus <crispy_bird at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I always offer to provide others information to make
> up their own minds. I would suggest that if you do
> go
> the the Radiation Safety and Health Web site you
> read
> the information critically. I would also suggest
> that
> people, including Howard, read the NCRP Report 136
> understand the underpinnings of the LNT.
> http://www.ncrponline.org/rpt136.html I do not know
> how one can make an intelligent decision without
> understanding all of the facts.
>
> Despite what Howard says the LNT is reasonable, not
> perfect. It is a hypothesis. Research being
> undertaken by DOE may further expand our
> understanding
> of such phenomenons as the bystander effect.
> http://lowdose.tricity.wsu.edu/
> Such work may even provide evidence that hormesis is
> not what its proponents suggest. As the McGregor and
> Land report of 1977 shows, low does of radiation do
> increase cancer. I believe that this report was
> published before there was any LNT/hormesis
> controversy. Therefore, its result are not biased to
> support the LNT, even if Howard says it is.
>
> By the way, I must thank Howard Long for leading to
> the paper. Again, if anyone wants a copy, let me
> know.
>
> --- howard long wrote:
>
> > John has kindly corrected my address for rad-sci,
> at
> > which there IS ample data that LNT and ALARA are
> now
> > NOT "reasonable":
> > http://cnts.wpi.edu/RSH/Docs/index.html
> >

> > Howard Long
> >
> > John Jacobus wrote:
> > I will conceed that the LNT is a hypothesis that
> > attempts to fit known data to some mathematic
> model.
> >
> > Does it work in all cases? Within the limits of
> the
> > data, it is probably reasonable.
> >
> > As for the number of cases that support hormesis,
> > what
> > do you mean? Actual data like the McGregor and
> Land
> > study of 1977 that shows no hormetic effect?
> > Ancedotal stories or cherry picking of data? Bits
> > and
> > pieces of data from other work, like taking one
> line
> > of from the McGregor and Land paper of 1979, does
> > not
> > really constitute a study. Consider my arguement
> > that
> > the McGregor and Land article of 1979 showed a
> > difference between observed cancers and expected
> > based
> > on the LNT. Again, the LNT provides an a
> > mathematical
> > estimate based on large populations. After all
> > cancer
> [...]

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy
enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com