[ RadSafe ] Re: radsafe Digest, Vol 10, Issue 5

Shawn Hughes (Road) srh at esper.com
Thu Mar 24 03:49:13 CET 2005

At 20:56 3/23/05 +0100, you wrote:
>Please read the situation below and comment if you have any information on
>the subject.  Specifically, what level of radiation is required to trip the
>fire eyes?

Rob, I don't have any 'fire eye' specific experience, but, as a Bomb Tech I
have quite a bit regarding the use of radiography equipment around sensors.

If the fire alarm sensor is based around ionization technology, then it is
at risk from false trips from radiological sources. How much is sensor
dependant, and of course the specific activity, distance, and geometry of
the product from the sensor plays a role.

-Shawn

====================================
Shawn Hughes
Special Projects Consultant and Subcontractor
  Harriman (near Oak Ridge), TN 37748 USA
(865) 335-7992 Voicemail
srh at esper.com

******NOTICE: Due to the age of my email account, I have to set spam
filtering VERY high. If you do not receive a response in a reasonable
amount of time, please try an alternate communications method. I apologize
for the inconvienence.