Clarification : [ RadSafe ] radium source questions

JGinniver at aol.com JGinniver at aol.com
Fri May 13 20:31:26 CEST 2005

Dear all,
firstly my thanks go out to those that have responded with information and
offers of help with this issue.  As a result of the replies I realise I  should
have included additional information in the original posting.  The  most
important of these is that I'm based in the United Kingdom.  I would  like to take
this opportunity to apologise to the list for not including details  of my
position, employer etc. but unfortunately my employer has made it clear  that
all my activities on this and other list should not identify them.
Notwithstanding this it would have helped if I had indicated that I'm based in  the UK
and can't therefore make use of either existing facilities in the US, or  the US
National Source Recovery programme mentioned by another list member in a
response to my original query.

I would however like to draw the list attention to this service, as I think
it is a great facility.  More details can be found at:

_http://www.doeal.gov/osrp/OSR%20Overview.htm_
(http://www.doeal.gov/osrp/OSR%20Overview.htm)

The UK doesn't have such a facility, or even a national policy or National
Disposal Facility.  Large sources that exceed the criteria for LLW must be
conditioned/packaged in preparation for transfer to an as yet unbuilt National
ILW facility.  Current ILW stores at Nuclear Sites must be designed to last
the next 50 years as this is the possible time period before the National ILW
facility will become available.  There are, fortunately, some generic  package
designs for which nuclear operators have been given "letters of comfort"  and
it is to meet these criteria that I need the information on the source  design
and construction.

The sources were manufactured in the late 1950s and early 1960s by the  then
named Radiochemical Centre in Amersham, Buckinghamshire, UK.   They are more
commonly know as Amersham International, but have been called more  recently
Nycomed Amersham and are now Amersham part of GE Healthcare.   Unfortunately
they no longer make sources for industry and attempts at getting  information
directly from them have failed.  I believe that Amersham did  supply sources to
the US, I came across references to them on the site run by  another list
member (Analog or is it Analogwell).  Consequently I would  appreciate any
information other list members may have on either these sources  specifically (model
number RAN or RAN5).  Or alternatively generic  information along the lines of
the original request.

Thanks again to everyone who has responded.

Regards,
    Julian