From: <M_MOORE@uvmvax.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1993 14:39 EST
Subject: Intraoperative lymphoscintigraphy
To: nucmed@uwo.ca

I would like to know if anyone else has encountered the following
situation.  If so, what is being done to ensure safe and legal use.

We have an oncology surgeon, not an authorized user, who initiated a
project in which Tc colloid was injected in nuclear medicine, sometimes
imaged, then followed by surgery.  During surgery, a hand held scintillation
probe (the "gamma-probe") is used to identify the sentinal node.  This has
to date been done under the nucmed authorization and followed by nucmed.
It is proposed that the material be injected intraoperatively, with
little input from nuc med beyond radiation handling issues.  I have
concerns about this, but need to find out if similar practices exist
at other institutions.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Marleen Moore