Re: 210Pb needed

On Sat, 6 Nov 1993 farmerr@ccmail.orst.edu wrote:

>     As a favor for a researcher on campus, I'm trying to find a source for
>     1 uCi of 210Pb solution.  He has a limited number of experiments to
>     perform, and the commercial sources checked so far are quoting >$1000
>     for 1 uCi.  I was hoping someone in netland might know of a cheaper
>     source or maybe even have some to spare.  The material will be used in
>     tracer studies, so it does not need to be NIST-traceable.  So far, I've
>     checked with NEN, Amersham, ORNL, and Isotope Products Lab.  Any and
>     all suggestions welcome.
>
>     Thanks in advance.
>
>     Rainier Farmer, RSO
>     Oregon State University
>     farmerr@ccmail.orst.edu
>     (503) 737-7080

A fair amount of Pb210 counting is done at the Univ. of Wis. Center for
Great Lakes Studies (sediment dating) where Pb208 is used as a calibration
tracer.  Is this a possibility for your colleague? It may be less expensive.

John Krezoski
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Department of Environmental Health and Safety
P.O. Box 413
Milwaukee, WI 53201
(414) 229-6339
jrk@convex.csd.uwm.edu