Quarterly vs Monthly

----------

Just a few quick pros and cons off the top of my head ....

MOST of the pros of quarterly rad monitors - dosimeters are based on
economics ... ie. less cost, fewer records, less handling etc.  I am sure
you can think of MANY cost factors.

One real technical pro is longer exposure integration and thus USUALLY the
ability to detect lower levels.

The cons ....

*  Well for personal dosimeters - it is tough enough for people to remember
   "what happened" with monthly badges.  Quarterly it is REALLY tough!

*  If a dosimeter is lost or damaged - you have a bigger hole in your
   monitoring.

*  Bad practices that badges find take longer to get discovered.

Basically for area monitors I prefer BOTH monthly and quarterly - The
quarterly to detect lower levels and to back up the monthly.

For people - IFF you can KNOW the people you badge - you may be able to
select a group you can give quarterly badges to.  These you be non rad
workers - almost a control group.  I would never use quarterly on those who
are expected to get positive readings ....... unless it was along with a
monthly badge.

Ted de Castro

Lawrence Berkeley Lab.