Re: quarterly vs. monthly radiation monitors

In most cases, we use quarterly TLD badges in areas where there is
not much likelihood of exposure and monitoring is required by law.
Here they are economic, usually less of a hassle to turn around and
reliable for relatively low dose readings.

If, however, you expect any significant readings, especially those
that will require some form of action, I would stay with monthly
readings.

Both film and TLD type systems have may pro's and con's.  We prefer
film for radiology settings mainly because of the ability to re-
evaluate high exposures when they occur.  Special procedures
physicians and cadiac cath personnel doses continue to increase as
more prolonged procedures are introduced into these areas.  We have
set an ALARA II Level of 1,000 mrem for these individuals who are
all badged at the collar outside the apron.  Even at this level we
have residents and staff physicians over Level II almost every
quarter.  We are also seeing more incidents of minor erythemas on
patients as well.

Hope this gives you some insight.

Dean W. Broga, Ph.D.
Director, Environmental Health & Safety