Re: Disposal of Uranium Waste

Peter Collopy recently inquired about regs and sites for disposal of
a variety of uranium wastes.
  Unless there really is a company called "envirocure," Peter
was referring to ENVIROCARE, a Utah firm.  I'm never certain about
these things either, Peter, so I called Kent Parker at Envirocare
<801-532-1330> to find that their limits are not so straightforward
as I thought.  For example, they can take depleted uranium with
activities of up to 110,000 piCi/g, while natural uranium is limited
to 18,000 piCi/g.  I forgot to check on activity limits for SNM,
but I know that special shipment schedules are necessary, since
the NRC rules forbid more that 350 gm of UNDISPOSED SNM on site
at any one time.
  Even this explication may be overly simplistic.  Best bet is
to call Kent or write him c/o Envirocare of Utah, 215 South State
Suite 1160, Salt Lake City, UT 84111, and tell him exactly
what you want to do.
   I don't work for Envirocare, by the way, I just help
regulate 'em (:->   Good Luck!
........ ~jess <jmckenzie@cc.weber.edu>
Jess McKenzie, PhD NBC Safety Officer  Weber State Univ  Ogden, UT
Chair, UT Board of Radiation Control