Re: U Waste and N-gen

Fido-To: johnny brandon

In a message of <02 Feb 94  11:13:30>, Johnny Brandon (1:233/13) writes:

 > WD> As JB said, if you are dealing with anything EXCEPT sealed targets
 > WD> (used on most new neutron generators), just say no.  They are messy.
 >
 >bring back old memories, eh wes?

Quite so.  For everyone else, I used to work for Hector at UIUC.  Nuc E had a couple of neutron generators around for decades.  The HP Office had spent years "finding" old foils lying around, plus a few other associated incidents (like crapping up a hood during an unauthorized target change).  NucE finally agreed to decon the suckers.  They actually did a good job, if only because their HP was fanatical about detail.  Then they decided to order a new target and restart.  I was given the opportunity to write the letter asking for "a bit more information on their plans".  The researcher left shortly after and, to the best of my knowledge, no followup had been made.

In short, if you ever hear rumors that one of these suckers had been around, start surveying for tritium, because it is going to be everywhere unless someone was really on top of things for the entire time.

--- msged 1.99S ZTC
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: Health Physics Liberation Front  (1:233/13.2)
--
HPS - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)