Fume Hood Decontamination

Hello, radsafers.

Our faculty (in an unprecidented move towards common sense
radioactives management) are consolidating all the tracers and
sealed source labs in Biology and Chemistry into one room.

We have five faculty in Bio and Chem who use radiation, and
only four of those use tracers.  (This to answer the 'my god
they'll be running all over each other' questions....)

In the process, the biochemists are leaving hoods and hot
zones that have been used lightly.

Are there standard procedures for fume hood and hot zone
decontamination and monitoring?  I was intending to tape off
the hoods in 10 cm squares and swipe the whole place, then
scrub and count the hot spots again.  Is this valid, or is
there a better procedure that I should be using?

Also, are there surfactants that are better at isotope
removal than, say, alconox?

Thanks, all, for your help.

John
      *John DeLaHunt, EH&S          *1125 Glen Avenue          *
      *The Colorado College         *Colorado Springs, CO 80905*
      *jdelahunt@cc.colorado.edu    * VOX:  (719)389-6678      *
      *hazmat-owner@csn.org         * FAX:  (719)635-3177      *
      *************this message is hereby disclaimed************