Re: Radiation Safety Training Programs

At VCU we require all users to attend a 2 hr lecture that covers
the basics.  They must then read the Radiation Safety Guide and
complete a exam (20 question).  They also sign a radiation workers
statement that is cosigned by the responsible investigator
indicating that the investigator has coverred all of the specific
requirements for the job that employee is going to do (safety
issues related to how radioactivity is handled in that lab).

So far....... we've been able to avoid annual refresher training
for all but hospital workers.

But, the future looks dim.  Training may become more important than
working, and documenting that training may become more important
than training.  It use to be that the most valuable asset a
university had was its library, now it's their records.  Progress?

Dean W. Broga, Ph.D.
Director, Environmental Health & Safety
Medical College of Virginia Campus
Virginia Commonwealth University