Waste Contracts

The person in charge of hazardous waste disposal at TSU wanted me
to pass on this message to the Rad-Safe Group for your opinions
regarding radioactive waste disposal in particular, but he would
also accept your thoughts regarding any type of waste contracts
that your university has implemented.
Message:

     Because of diminishing state revenues for higher education,
The University of Maryland System (UMS) is attempting to put
together a technical specification for the procurement of a
system wide hazardous waste disposal contract. The goal of the
program is to reduce UMS hazardous waste disposal costs by
capitalizing on any available waste volume discounts, by
eliminating duplication within the system and to reduce long term
legal liabilities. We envision the contract initially covering the
disposal of all types of hazardous chemical wastes (including
unknowns, reactives, compressed gases, etc.) with the individual
UMS institutions choosing the services they need and only paying
for the services they actually utilize. Participation in the
contract will be voluntary. There will be no co-mingling of wastes
between institutions and each institution will retain
responsibility for the wastes they generate.

     There are approximately 15 institutions in the system located
throughout the state with varied hazardous waste disposal needs.
There are two institutions with Part B permitted TSDF facilities
and other institutions that may have no idea as to what constitutes
a hazardous waste.  Some institutions will require full service and
others just transportation and disposal services (packaging will be
performed on-site by university employees). For those institutions
with little or no hazardous waste expertise, we are also looking
for the contractor to provide on-site basic training for hazardous
waste generators.

     At this time we are starting with specifications for hazardous
chemical wastes but I envision the scope widening to include the
disposal of mixed low-level radioactive wastes (e.g., flammable
scintillation cocktails) and perhaps medical wastes.

     I am not especially interested in the procurement portion of
the contract. Once the technical specifications have been hammered
out, we will hand them over to the UMS Procurement Offices for
addition of the procurement boilerplate and bidding.

     I am interested in hearing from other academic institutions
who have driven down this road before.  If possible, I would like
to get a copy of your technical specifications so we don't
have to re-invent the wheel. I'd also be interested in hearing
about any problems, failures or successes. If you would prefer to
contact me directly, please feel free to do so. Anything I receive
I will be happy to share with the group.

Gregory Wood
Assistant Director
Environmental Health & Safety
Towson State University