Merged Hazmat and Radwaste Facilities

Montana State has received some flack from the NRC with regard to incorporating
radwaste handling with a preexisting hazwaste program.  The idea here is to
utilize what space is available, and share common resources.  Obviously we plan
to keep the waste streams separate (we'll be installing dividing walls.

I've given the proposal to NRC Region IV, and they've responded negatively. The
license reviewer even referred the situation to Fed-OSHA!  Fed-OSHA has no
jurisdiction (Public Sector oversight by Montana's Dept of Labor and Industry)
in this area.

I agree that the "marriage" of radwaste and hazwaste is not recommended,
however, we are in a compromise situation.  I think the NRC is overstepping
here, and I would like to hear some comments on "experiences" of similar
nature.

Erick Lindstrom
Radiation Safety Officer
Montana State University