I-131 THERAPY DOSES AT NUC MED FACILITIES

Dear Reader:

I understand that a fraction of iodine-131 therapy doses volatilizes and
escapes the open vial.  I am wondering what methods do other Nuclear
Medicine facilities use to  account for this fraction and show effluent
concentration is within DAC.

We in-line sample the exhausted air using charcoal filter.  A 12,000 CFM
outside air is introduced to the air exhaust from our Nuclear Medicine hood.
It seems that the fraction of I-131 volatilized is diluted to BKG
concentrations.  If you sample the air using activated charcoal, have you
detected any I-131?  I thank you for your forthcoming response.

Abdul Ben-Zikri, HP
UW-Madsion
abdul.benzikri@mail.admin.wisc.edu