New Book

I'm posting this with the hope that some of you may enjoy reading the book.

As the Cold War fades into the mists of history, a generation of weapons
physicists and designers whose careers paralleled the half-century of
superpower conflict have begun to retire and may be taking with them
invaluable historical knowledge.

The same holds true in other branches of nuclear science, including
accelerator radiation protection. Used to create beams of radiation to
enhance nuclear research, accelerators date to the days even before the
Manhattan Project. Development of the separate study of accelerator radiation
protection is almost as old. It is generally viewed as having begun in
Berkeley shortly after the second World War.

H. Wade Patterson and Ralph H. Thomas who have collaborated as scientists
since 1962, have sought to preserve the history of this slice of nuclear
science with publication of a book they edited entitled "A History of
Accelerator Radiation Protection" (Nuclear Technology Publishing, 1994).

"When you step back after 45 years in a field, especially one in which you
were in attendance at the birth, you realize there is some history there,"
said Thomas. "Wade and I got to brainstorming and we wondered if we could
persuade a number of our colleagues to contribute whatever they thought was
interesting or important about their work in the field." They did. The book
contains the remembrances of over two dozen senior scientists in the field
from all over the world.