Uranyl Acetate

Forwarded-from: MIKEG

1.  Well, it is certainly bad cytochemical hygiene technique to use
TEM heavy metal stains without gloves or a small hood or preparation
glove box.  (This reminds me of some stories of Dentists working with
berylium!)  As is virtually always true for the uranyl acetate
commercially marketed (whether DU or natural uranium), the heavy
metal toxicity greatly exceeds the danger from alpha, etc., radiation.

2.  The Clinical Investigation Center at Oak Knoll also had some of
this on the shelf which we looked at using ZnS scintillators.  Extremely
long counting times were necessary to see anything.  Probably has
something to do with the emissivity rate!  Anyway, low background
counters and other uranium detection techniques could be used if you
really wanted to.  However, since this is a known compound, you can
calculate the activity per unit mass fairly easily and estimate any
potential exposures based on the quantities used by the technician
in sample preparations.  Wipe tests in the use areas are not very
likely to find anything unless you have the right counters available.

3.  Bottom line is that the chief health hazard is uranium metal
toxicity, not radiation exposure!  There is extensive literature
on uranium health effects.

                         - - - - Forwarded Text - - - -