Re: Uranyl Acetate

On Tue, 19 Jul 94 08:07:07 -0500 Ira Schneider said:
>Today, an electron microscopist discovered that uranyl acetate contains
>depleted uranium even though it is labeled as rad limited quantity.
>Of course we had no idea he has been working with it since 1965 not
>bothering to wear gloves or working in a hood.  He now wants to know
>the classic question of was he exposed to radiation?
>
>I am interested in finding out how other institutions regulate this
>substance with respect to personnel monitoring.  How would one go
>about reconstructing  a dose?  Any good literature out there that I
>could get my hands on.  Any comments would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Ira Schneider
>Ischneid@gandalf.rutgers.edu

I am also interested in the regulation end of the uranyl acetate.  Does any
institution regulate use, or follow any special procedures for disposal?  I
believe I remember discussion once before that uranyl nitrates require
different packaging before disposing at Barnwell- do the acetates require the
same?   Thanks in advance-

LYNN B. DOBBS
RADIATION SAFETY OFFICE
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA
D020219@UNIVSCVM
STANDARD DISCLAIMER---THESE OPINIONS ARE NOT
NECESSARILY THE OPINIONS OF THIS INSTITUTION.