RE: Natural background.

I think the Health Physics profession and the Health Physics Society has a LOT
of educating to do with not only science teachers but our elected officials as
well.
How 'bout a pack of information we can use to brief legislators and their
assistants.  Background radiation (including my favorite snack, Brazil nuts),
medical radiation and the steps taken to eliminate unnecessary esposure.
Then I think a perspective on what other nations are doing as well as
a comparison with chemical exposures (NCRP 96, Comparative
Carcinogenicity of Ionizing Radiation and Chemicals)  would be appropriate.
We have a great story to tell, why not place it in terms that a legislator
can understand, and then tell it in unambiguous and clear terms.
I can't (yes I can) believe that a legislator doesn't know that there
is a concept called "background".
By the way, I dislike, with a passion, the "new units".  Other than the names
of the people, they don't make sense.  Why not just substitute the names
for the rem and rad, keep the bq, but also keep the Ci.
My 372 pesos, 92 yen, 4 drachma and $.02.

George Anastas, M.P.H., P.E., C.H.P.
Director, Environemtnal Health and Safety and
Radiation Safety Officer
California State University, Sacramento

The views expressed herein are mine alone, and may not reflect the views
of the State of California, California State University, California
State University, Sacramento, any political subdivision of the State
of California, my wife, 5 children, son-inlaw, daughter-in-law, one
granddaughter and Mykos (our cat).  This message is disclaimed.