Re: Natural background.

          I have enjoyed the recent comments on the knowledge of our
          congress in the areas of radiation, but I wonder if at times
          we are "shooting ourselves in the foot".  I was recently
          approached to write a reply to the August editorial in the
          HP journal on radiation warnings on cigarettes.  My initial
          reaction was that I had glanced at the article but had
          assumed it was meant to be regarded as humorous.  In
          rereading the item, I was surprised to realize that
          apparently it was serious.

          While well-meaning, is the idea of associating all the ills
          of cigarette smoking with radiation simply going to inflate
          the fears of the public (and congress) about radiation?
          While not an expert in the area, my understanding was that
          the nicotine, tars, etc. in the cigarette were also known
          cancer agents and to ignore their role would be poor
          science.  Does anyone have more information on the subject
          or have comments on the editorial?

          Dave Simpson
          ORAU