RE: NATURAL BACKGROUND

The subject of public ignorance, warped perceptions,  fear based political
talk, surfaces  frequently at our research institution simply because we do
so much training and personnel turnover is so high.  Compulsive emphasis on
record keeping and safe handling reaffirms the fear of this "mysterious"
material, yes very mysterious...even more mysterious than the inner working
of  automobiles; (was there a time when people were afraid of horseless
carriages?) People who handle the material in micro quantities are often
plagued with  fears that are so profound, so set in their personal beliefs, I
have often wondered what are the mechanisms behind it all.  Others will
exhibit opposite behaviors of totally no fear and poor technique; (a usual
source of contamination problems).  I can't say what the ratio of each would
be, however there seems to be a "follow like sheep" problem, where the
neutral, undecideds, or  the wait & see-ers, allow those with established and
decided  vocal beliefs, to dictate what is ok and not ok to do within the lab
group.  A group with a mixture of attitudes, that happen to be outspoken,
usually  will ask for training in service.
We have given inservices to  research groups explaining first and foremost
the concept of natural background exposure and its variation in hopes of
putting the isotope users' quantity-exposure parameters into perspective.
These people possess a lot of science education, yet these "education
sessions" can be like breaking or deprogramming religious occult members.
The ever present "fear of the unknown" continually leaves them extremely
reluctant to trust what you are saying.  Adding to the dilemma , there often
is one wild eyed person  who poisons the minds of those who are trying to
attempt an understanding process, (usually after you have left).  There
certainly is more to this than meets the eye.  Education is eventually
necessary, or initially necessary (... true a receptive audience would be
pre-schoolers),
 But people will be people, regardless of education levels or intelligence.
These two important components are some how disabled when emotions are in
play, or doesn't it seem that way?  Also notice how prevalent simplistic
thinking is in just about any issue, (right/wrong, yes/no, dangerous/safe,
exposed/ not exposed, good/bad), if "A"  isn't happening to you, then by
default "B" is!   Is this cultural? A  result of public right=reward / wrong
= punishment education?   After all we are dumped in to a controlling
environment at such a tender age...come to think of it home life isn't much
better in many cases... This is  getting too deep...but wait,  oh no! what's
happening ... I'm not going to let myself fall into black/white thinking !
(easy-do it/ too difficult-forget it!) Whew, how about a plan.  Since I train
and audit such a perfect sampling  of  radioisotope handlers,  I should be
able to probe with a few questions on perceptions/thought
process/opinions...It's not much, but a start...  there is a barrier out
there we need to identify in our own radiation risk-benefit context, I also
think it wise to remember, even though we are not sociologists , we are
educated and have the ability to think, problem solve,  hypothesize.
There is some benefit to criticizing the general public, (or regulators,
political leaders, etc..)  lsuch as venting frustration, or  flushing our
emotional toilets...   Rising above the frustration is next, as this problem
gets more notoriety.  I don't feel  the education  dog and pony shows will
work because no one will buy the tickets... or its hard to produce a purer
product if the chemical reaction and interreactions are not understood.  Lets
put our resource to the sources, (no pun intended) not the the already
formed, low-desirable yield, products. This is a job for both hemispheres of
gray matter.. particularly the side that academia has tended to oppress
 I'm afraid.

Please note these observations and opinions are derived solely from my brain
and do not necessaraly  represent those of my employer