Illinois LLRW Generators Meeting

Yesterday, August 25, 1994 the Illinois Department of Nuclear Safety
sponsored the second of two generators meetings this summer.  The
objective of both meeetings was to try to identify problems and
discuss potential solutions for interim waste handling for academic
and medical generators.

The first meeting didn't accomplish much, so the second meeting was
scheduled to allow brokers and processors to present the services  that
they propose to offer while no disposal site is available.  After the morning
session it was clear that there was a lack of understanding of the
problem that at least our university faces.  During the afternoon
session and during the breaks I think we were able to make both IDNS and
some of the brokers/processors of the services that we believe that we need.

IDNS needs our help to identify the problems the various generators face.
To some extent, they are just another generator in the scheme of things.
The Governor, Legislature, and Siting Commission need to be educated to
the potential damage that could be done to research and medicine.

There was some discussion among a few of us at the meeting about forming
a "Generators Group" to discuss what we might be able to do.  We are
going to bring this to the attention of our Vice-President and General
Counsel to see what support we can get here for the operation of such
a group.  In the meantime, I would like to get your opinions about
what such a group might accomplish.  For example: should we, as a group,
consider hiring a lobbyist in Springfield?

All comments greatly appreciated, good or bad.

Dale E. Boyce, Director
The University of Chicago
Office of Radiation Safety