Quarterly vs. Monthly Badges

To:     Jim Herrold, U of Wyoming

From:   Kristin Erickson, Mich. State Univ.

"My question to radsafers is: Is there somebody out there who has gone to
quarterly monitoring, for part or all of your monitored population, or anyone
else out there who feels strongly enough about this subject, who can tell me
what advantages or problems you have found? I would appreciate any information
I can get at this point. We are looking at converting to TLDs for these people
within the next week or so."

We switched from monthly badges (film) to quarterly badges in January,
1993.  The main reason was efficiency.  More efficient for everyone on
campus to switch badges 4 times per year instead of 12 times per year.

We have had no problems with switchover, hardly a ripple.  Our person rem
has been 3-5 mr/person/yr for the past 4 years running, so we are in a safe
range for exposures, as you apparently are.  I have docs that we sent to
all badge wearers prior to the switch, and would be happy to share them.

I would think that you could switch to quarterly badges for the bulk of
your people, also.  The ones who remain on monthly are safety personnel,
Cyclotron employees, DPW's and moisture guage users.

Email me if you want any further information.  Good luck!

Kristin

All comments herein contained are my own opinions, expostulating or
rantings, and are not necessarily those of my employer or institution.

Kristin Erickson, Radiation Safety Officer
Office of Radiation, Chemical and Biological Safety
C124 Research Complex-Eng.
Michigan State University
East Lansing, Michigan 48824
Telephone: (517) 355-5008   Fax: (517)353-4871   Email: 10525kfb@msu.edu