Badged Workers

Fido-To: hps

Just a personal opinion here, but I think the legal arguments for
overbadging are hogwash (or worse).  First, any lawyer will (and
they have) claim the badge is not representative of the actual dose
(or wasn't worn, or....).  Ergo, no legal protection.

Second, overbadging has absolutely NO PLACE in a worker training
program.  If the person isn't trained to understand why a badge
isn't necessary, they are not trained to handle radioactive material.

Third, badging is post-facto.  A badge will NOT prevent an overexposure.
Only proper survey techniques can do that.  Keep in mind that we don't
care if an individual has a 200% increase over the course of a month if
that is from 1 to 3 mrem.  Health and Safety dictates worrying about the
people who will receive greater than 10%, not the many who won't.

Forth, location badges DO have a place in badging program.

Fifth, Education, Education, Education.

Oh, by the way, quarterly badges are fine, now with the change to annual
dose limits.  However, I would recommend monthly badging for individuals
whose work may lead to large exposures on a routine basis so that
problems can be identified before an overexposure occurs (e.g., industrial
radiographers).

P.S.  My opinions are based on personal experience in reducing badging
at an academic program.  It was one lab group at a time, but almost
everyone agreed to turn in their badge.  Those who didn't, agreed to
testing period to see for themselves.  Most of those later turned in their
badges.  But we did NOT take away badges without explanation.

Wes
(re-read first paragraph for disclaimer)

--- msged 1.99S ZTC
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: Health Physics Liberation Front  (1:233/13.2)
--
HPS - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)